Sunday, June 5, 2016

A Night of Magic

A Night of Magic and incredible end to your mandatory education. Your special night is better referred to as your prom night. What has changed over the years is how the prom has become a bigger deal complete with elaborate themed events, undoubtedly created by the need for party planners to have another season to help fill their calendar. Kinda like, Hallmark invented Valentines Day, Donuts Day, give your Neighbor a card day, etc. Please don't let my cynicism diminish these events or the special place they hold our lives and development of who we are today.
I do enjoy the youthful optimism and excitement in these kids, while I remember my prom night and how I had to leave my then girlfriend at home because I agreed to take the girl from my 8th grade prom and likewise she left her boyfriend at home, why? our prom sold out and I wasn't going to miss my right of passage and either was she. Yes, it was a fun night, but also one of mixed emotions. The prom is still and always will be an important right of passage as we transition from our childhood dreams into our adult reality of life will never be the same again. So, during these season's of change, look back with fondness of your teen years and if you went to your prom how did it turn out? Many times I thought the kids who didn't attend this big night, maybe they were the lucky ones for not going through the anguish of asking your date out leaving your self and self esteem open to the crushing disappointment of being turned down. If they said yes, weeks of stress about what to wear, what flowers to buy, where to have dinner, and if your lucky enough the stress of getting the nerve to swallow your pride and then going in for the dreaded and yet exciting possibility of a successful good night kiss! Young love so full of endless dreams and endless stress. Thank God we survived and can enjoy our golden years wondering what if....

No comments:

Post a Comment